Hey folks, we are searching for someone who loves seafood (oysters, especially) to fill our full-time Sales Representative position!
At Element Seafood, we pride ourselves on our extensive supplier relationships and the ability to bring the best shellfish and seafood products to New York’s finest chefs. Our specialty is in fresh shellfish, but we also carry a large selection of frozen seafood products.
You will be joining a fun, tightly-knit team in a friendly and casual work environment. We are a small team that assigns projects according to your interests and personal strengths, subject to the needs of the company. You will have individual, independent projects, but also collaborate occasionally on events and larger projects with others.
Primary Role and Responsibilities
You will be the primary contact for our existing customers (an ever-growing list of chefs and seafood buyers). You will be responsible for introducing and recommending products to our customers and therefore must fully learn and understand their businesses and needs.
You will need to continuously acquire new customers, which will require the ability to multi-task and perform research through non-traditional means (word-of-mouth from existing customers, online research, cold calling).
You must have an interest in seafood and become knowledgeable of our product offerings. (Prior knowledge and experience is not required, but business curiosity and a desire to learn is required.)
Day-to-day tasks include taking and managing orders (from invoice to delivery), managing inventory, setting up meetings with potential customers, researching new customers, and updating and learning more about our product offerings.
You will be required to attend events that take place in the evenings and weekends. Don’t worry, you are usually fed, or it is oyster-related. Otherwise, it is a field trip to visit one of our growers or suppliers.
- Passion for food, especially seafood, a must (you don’t have to eat out often or know every chef on Food Network, but you must be interested in learning or have knowledge of food systems).
- Must be available to work some nights and weekends as needed.
- Strong relationship-building skills. You must enjoy socializing and meeting new people.
- Excellent communication skills. You will have a smartphone and will be expected to respond to customers in a timely fashion.
- Self-motivated team player. You must be accountable for yourself and for your team. Because we are a small business and a small team, we would like to avoid office politics. We are very honest with each other and pride ourselves on the candor between team members.
- Basic computer skills. You should be able to write and send a professional-sounding email, update information in our database, perform basic internet research, and create simple documents using Microsoft Office.
- Must be able to consume raw oysters and other seafood. You will be required to taste a significant amount of seafood in order to properly represent the product to our customers.
- Knowledge of oysters and other seafood a plus.
- Previous sales and/or retail/restaurant experience a plus.
- Valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle a plus.
To learn more about Element Seafood, see us at www.elementseafood.com. Please no phone inquiries.
To apply, email a cover letter AND resume to info at elementseafood.com.